Erbs Mill Concept Plan
The following bullet points and associated map explain the concept plan for improvements to Erbs Mill Park.
Hover you mouse pointer over the map to reveal the location of clickable links and view a snapshot of the suggested improvements, new facilities, and possible amenities. Images will open in a new tab of your browser.
The narrative and the plan will be active on the Whitpain Township website from June 10, 2019 to July 10, 2019. After reviewing the plan information, viewers who have questions or comments pertaining to Erbs Mill Park are encouraged to contact the Whitpain Township Parks and Recreation Department at: Park&Rec@whitpaintownship.org.
The conceptual plan will be presented to the Whitpain Township Board of Supervisors at their regularly scheduled public meeting on July 16, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.
- The Township has been in considering improvements to Erbs Mill Park to benefit the residents in the surrounding neighborhoods for over 20 years.
- In the past 5 years, The Whitpain Township Park and Open Space Board has set Erbs Mill Park improvements as a number one priority initiative after receiving input from residents that live in the area of the park.
- The Township engaged Land Concepts LLC, a landscape design firm, to begin preliminary conceptual drawings of park improvements.
- Township staff and consultants met with residents that live near the park property to review possible improvements and provide input. Two meetings were held at the Whitpain Recreation Association’s Club House at Centre Square.
- Township Staff met twice with residents living near the park. Information was provided on how homes will be protected from people accessing the park. Resident approval was gained for improvements and the Township committed to honoring resident requests if the plan is approved for funding and construction.
- Stakeholder input has been incorporated into the current draft and presented on the Township website for review and comment.
- Erbs Mill Park is located in the southwest portion of Whitpain Township. It is located at the end of Erbs Mill Road at the intersection of Arlington Road.
- 1.2 acres
- Open field maintained by Township as Open Space.
- Some large trees exist along the northern perimeter of property.
- A park sign is located at the Erbs Mill Road entrance.
- A water retention basin exists on the southwest corner of property.
- Aging and diseased trees are monitored and are scheduled to be removed as needed.
- 8 ft. wide asphalt trail around perimeter of the park and a walkway from Talbot Road to Erbs Mill Road.
- Playground component for ages 3-8
- Stand alone play pieces
- Tot Lot playhouse
- Swing set
- Picnic pavilion with electricity
- 6 picnic tables
- Flat benches around trail and playground
- Trash and recycling receptacles
- Dog waste assistance stations at both park entrance walkways
- Dog walking permitted – on leash, no more than 10 ft. lead, staying on walking trail. Not permitted within 50 ft. of a playground and 20 ft. of a playing field. Must clean up after dog.
- Park rules and regulations
- Open field play area – grading improvements and mowing frequency increased
- Security camera system
- Removeable bollards at end of Erbs Mill Road
- Post and rail fencing along adjoining properties for dog and property protection
- Added tree canopy and shrubs along trail and between park and property owners for buffer and property protection. Removal of dead or decaying trees and planting new trees and shrubs.
- Future retrofit project of storm water retention basin – not part of this initial project.
- No designated parking – this is a neighborhood park – “Walk to” concept.